Saturday, February 14, 2009

Hockey & Supper

Yet another quiet, chilly week in Ralston. That feeling of spring in the air which we had last week was swiftly put to an end with the return of temperatures around minus 20! There's not been much new snow though which is a bonus!


Leigh went up to Calgary on Monday evening to watch the Calgary Flames v Montreal Canadiens (ice hockey!) with a couple of guys from work. They had a great evening; beers, hot dogs and live sport, what more could a man ask for on a Monday night! They certainly had a birds eye view of the game! I think it is indicative to the size of Canada that people over here think nothing of making a 5 hour round trip for a night out!



Tuesday evening we had supper over at the Commanders house, well us and about 16 others; they have a very big table! As usual or so it seems, I get to sit next to the visiting Brigadier. But unlike the time before when I asked the Canadian Chief of General Staff if he was in the Army, I managed to work out that this chap was indeed in the Army therefore saving myself from further embarrassment! It did not occur to me however that the other 16 guests were all part of the same Brigade out here visiting and said to about the 6th guy I spoke to who told me he was from Catterick 'Oh really? Did you know the other guy I just spoke to is from Catterick too'... Quite a coincidence wouldn't you say, well I thought so anyway!


So we are just on Half Term out here this coming week (or Reading Week as they call it out here). We are having a quiet weekend before heading up to Banff of Tuesday for 4 days. Maybe a spot of skiing, ice skating, outdoor hot tubbing in sub zero temperatures.... we are all really looking forward to it. So I'll blog from The Rockies next week....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Hockey game must have been awesome to watch!great view... kids look so cute in the photo :)

Look forward to reading your next blog!!!

Anonymous said...

5 hour round trip for a night out. That's less time than it takes to get the tube into the West End for an evening and its only about 10 miles!