Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Ex Frosty Frolics


I'm back and just about recovered from the annual wives winter exercise; Ex Frosty Frolics! (Phew!) On Friday 40 of us girls were bussed up to Trails End Camp in the Rockies for an action packed weekend of Snow Shoeing, Dog Sledding, Quad Biking and Ice Climbing. What fun! Trails End Camp is the Army Adventurous Training base up in the
Rockies and true to it's title it is rather remote with camp style accommodation, dormitories and bunk beds! Luckily we were able to spread out and each had a lower bunk (I'm sure you can imagine the giggling!).

After arriving on Friday evening & being issued our kit we all went out for a curry in 'near by' Cochran. Despite the distance and the late hour, a curry is always a welcome treat! We were all quite sensible though as our day was starting at 6am the next morning. My groups first activity was Snow Shoeing and I had visions of strapping tennis bats to my feet! Technology has advanced though and we strapped these rather fetching flipper type things to our shoes and went on a 3km stroll
through trees & the open with the mountains for a stunning back-drop. And unlike others in my group (Gill!) I managed to stay upright - it was great fun!

Our next activity was Dog Sledding which is something I have wanted to do since we arrived in Canada - and I wasn't disappointed. Julie & I 'drove' our sled whilst we were pulled along by 8 dogs. Contrary to my belief, it is not a case of sitting in the sled and enjoying the view; you need to be behind the sled helping the dogs pull it along by 'paddling' with your legs. It was such an amazing experience and set in
one of the most stunning places I have ever seen; Spray Lakes. We even passed some people Ice Fishing!

After a busy day of Snow Shoeing & Dog Sledding, we had a 'Granny Bingo' night in the camp. We all got dressed up and had a laugh and as we were all so tired the majority of us were in bed by 11pm! It was good fun though.

Our final day was another 6am start and our first activity was Quad Biking. This wasn't something I had in mind when we arrived in Canada! Again it was great fun. Having never driven a Quad Bike before I was a little on the nervous side, but once we got going it was a real adrenaline rush and there was no stopping me! Such an experience; biking through a snow covered Forest. We were even lucky enough to see a pack of wild horses run past in front of us. Amazing.


Our final activity was Ice Climbing. I have to admit to looking forward to the 1/2 hour hike to get to the climbing area more than the actual climb! It was truly stunning; picture postcard scenery. And as I thought, for me the walk was the best bit about it! A few brave girls from our group got really high up the ice wall; I however, settled for giving it a go and only getting a few feet up. Not my thing; but hey, at least I can say I have done it. Ish!


So a fantastic weekend all in all. A great bunch of girls doing some extraordinary stuff. Truly a weekend to remember. Of course, so I could go off and do this in the first place, Leigh was temporarily promoted to 'Commander-in-Chief Home Command'! I think he coped rather well; when I got home the children were fast asleep, all was tidy and even the packed lunches were ready for the next day. Maybe I should do this more often....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done for previously passing the ice hockey, skiing and ‘driving along perfectly straight roads for hours on end without running off the road’ tests. We now note from your Ex Frosty Frolics Course Report that you have passed the dog-sled handling, ice climbing, snow-shoe and quad-biking tests.

We are therefore pleased to be able to advise you that, subject to you passing the final and most important test, we will be able to offer you Canadian Citizenship.

So, just lose that sense of humour and you’ll qualify as a true Canadian and be in for good!